Do dolphins have blow holes
Yes. Because they lack nostrils, dolphins surface every 15 to 20 seconds to clear their blow holes with a burst of air.
More Answers to "Do dolphins have blow holes"
- Why does a dolphins have blow holes on top of their heads?
- If we installed them on their bellies, they'd need to swim upside down to breathe.
- Do sharks have blow holes like dolphins?
- they have gills and dolphins have blow holes. unless you are a female shark lol ha ha ha just kidding bad joke
- Does water come out of the dolphin's blow hole?
- Not really. It is more like what comes out of your nose and mouth when you sneeze. There is some water around the blow hole and when it opens to allow the dolphin to breathe, the water is sprayed out.
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- Evolution of the Dolphin/ Whale?
- Q: Before we get going I will say that I am a professional archaeologist and DO believe in evolution, so if thee are any whacko creationalists out there dont bother trying to answer...My question relates to ho whales and dolphins developed the ability to breathe through a hole on the neck/ head. It is my understanding that they were originally a land based mammal who like the rest of us, breathed through his mouth. If my knowledge of evolution is correct then the change from the lung bieng connected to the mouth to the lungs being connected to a valve on the opposite side of the head must have been a slow process. How could this have occurred if having a blow hole anywhere but behind the head would have been useless. I do not understand how it could have happened suddenly instead.Nice one Silverbirch, the funny thing is that Archaeologists do not tend to deal with the evolution of sea based mammals (or any mammals apart from humans) that sort of thing is generally left to biologists, thanks for your confidence. However your cynicism only seems to distract you from attempting to answer my question: It is irrelavent that the lungs are connected to the mouth or the nose, my question was how did the blow-hole develop? did the NOSE gradually migrate around the side of the head or does it seem to have happened suddenly? Have another try Silverbirch you might prove to be helpful after all...
- A: Early cetaceans such as the Pakicetus had the nasal openings at the end of the snout, in later species such as the Rodhocetus, the openings had begun to drift toward the top of the skull. This is known as nasil drift. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Nasal_drift.gif
- I learned something very interesting today?
- Q: Dolphins have no vocal cords. And Flippers voice was actually a monkey of some sort. They make all there sounds through their "blow hole".Does anyone know what breed on monkey did Flippers voice?Went to the Gulfarium today. The trainers were doing a QA session because it was kind of slow there today. :)
- A: cool thanks for the info now i can tel my lil sis :)
- Joke> Have you heard about the children's view of the ocean?
- Q: 1) - This is a picture of an octopus. It has eight testicles. (Kelly,age 6)2) - Oysters' balls are called pearls. (Jerry, age 6)3) - If you are surrounded by ocean you are an Island. If you don't have ocean all round you, you are incontinent. (Wayne, age 7)4) - Sharks are ugly and mean, and have big teeth, just like EmilyRichardson. She's not my friend any more. (Kylie, age 6)5) - A dolphin breaths through an a$$hole on the top of its head.(Billy, age 8)6) - My uncle goes out in his boat with 2 other men and a woman and pots and comes back with crabs. ( Millie, age 6)7) - When ships had sails, they used to use the trade winds to cross the ocean. Sometimes when the wind didn't blow the sailors would whistle to make the wind come. My brother said they would have been better off eating beans. (William, age 7)8) - Mermaids live in the ocean. I like mermaids. They are beautiful and I like their shiny tails, but how on earth do mermaids get pregnant? Like, really? (Helen, age 6)9) - I'm not going to write about the ocean. My baby brother is always crying, my Dad keeps yelling at my Mom, and my big sister has just got pregnant, so I can't think what to write. (Amy, age 6)10) - Some fish are dangerous. Jellyfish can sting. Electric eels can give you a shock. They have to live in caves under the sea where I think they have to plug themselves into chargers. (Christopher, age 7)11) - When you go swimming in the ocean, it is very cold, and it makes my willy small. (Kevin, age 6)12) - Divers have to be safe when they go under the water. Divers can't go down alone, so they have to go down on each other. (Becky, age 8)13) - On vacation my Mom went water skiing. She fell off when she was going very fast. She says she won't do it again because water fired right up her big fat a$$. (Julie, age 7)14) - The ocean is made up of water and fish. Why the fish don't drown I don't know. (Bobby, age 6)15) - My dad was a sailor on the ocean. He knows all about the ocean. What he doesn't know is why he quit being a sailor and married my mom. (James, age 7)
- A: those were all very funny kitty
Prev Question: What is in piss